My mother is white and my father was black. I am not alone in this. I grew up in the Bronx, New York City. Born in 1967. A relatively safe time and place for a brown girl of ambiguous ethnicity. As the mother of two little brown girls, I like to believe that race doesn't matter much. But the election of Barack Obama woke me up. Ignorance is everywhere. Race labels ring in my ears. They stick and they stain. Even when they fade. This is my rant, from “post-racial America”. Hoping to shed some light.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rosario Dawson Speaks Up

Rosario Dawson is an interesting young actress. A fellow browngirl, from New York City, a scant 10 or so years my junior. She's involved with a number of respectable charities, and apparently is not afraid to act up.
She grabbed Paul Rudd's "package", because he grabbed Eva Mendez' "boob" and wouldn't let go (above photo grabbed from The Huffington Post). Get the full story at Racialicious.com, and see/hear Ms. Dawson defending herself in this clip courtesy of Access Hollywood.


Once you get past her unfortunate overuse of the "like" modifier, she says a lot of worthwhile things about feminism, art, independent film, and the importance of promoting all of the above.
Her clarity of purpose is so refreshing, in light of the rampant absurdities frothing from the mouths of Charlie Sheen, aka Carlos Estevez, and John Galliano, to name a few...


No comments:

Post a Comment