My mother is white and my father was black. I am not alone in this. I grew up in the Bronx, New York City. Born in 1967. A relatively safe time and place for a brown girl of ambiguous ethnicity. As the mother of two little brown girls, I like to believe that race doesn't matter much. But the election of Barack Obama woke me up. Ignorance is everywhere. Race labels ring in my ears. They stick and they stain. Even when they fade. This is my rant, from “post-racial America”. Hoping to shed some light.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Hits of 2013

I know I'm a little late for the glut of Year End posts. But I have been putting a lot of good writing energy into my manuscript, like the good girl I promised to be. You haven't heard much from me lately, right?

While it's still January, I'm tossing my two cents into the pool with this short little list of Hits of 2013.

photo: nydailynews.com
Mayor Bill DeBlasio of New York City, my hometown. Finally a lefty activist/democrat running the most radical city on Earth. His mixed-race family, and Afro-centric-hairstyled offspring knock me out. Can't wait to see what the future brings.






photo: hollywoodreporter.com




Key and Peele. Comedy Central's amazing show featuring two (count 'em, two) biracial comedians who dare to say a whole lot of messed up funny stuff that a lot of people wouldn't dream of repeating in mixed (pun intended) company.



12 Years A Slave. The book by Solomon Northup. I am mid-way through it and am blown away by the beautiful language and remarkable story of this 19th Century memoir. Wondering why it took a black Brit to make the film everyone's talking about. Cheers to Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and everyone who  helped bring the book into the light.

Mama's Child. A new book by Joan Lester, YA author and journalist. An interesting work of fiction, this story of a modern bi-racial family is told from two perspectives: the white mother's voice alternates with that of her mixed daughter. Ms. Lester is herself a white mother in a mixed race family, bringing her authentic perspective to this unusual tale.

Southern Poverty Law Center. This non-profit organization has made incredible strides in fighting bias-based injustices here in the US. I've been a supporter for years, and thought I'd take this opportunity to send a shout-out. Visit http://www.splcenter.org to explore or donate.

Lastly, I have to mention that my mom survived a harrowing health scare in December. By New Year's Eve she was feeling pretty darn good. So Mom's healthy outlook makes it to my Hit list. Hooray!


Wishing you a peaceful and joy-filled new year.





No comments:

Post a Comment