My mother is white and my father was black. I am not alone in this. I grew up in the Bronx, New York City. Born in 1967. A relatively safe time and place for a brown girl of ambiguous ethnicity. As the mother of two little brown girls, I like to believe that race doesn't matter much. But the election of Barack Obama woke me up. Ignorance is everywhere. Race labels ring in my ears. They stick and they stain. Even when they fade. This is my rant, from “post-racial America”. Hoping to shed some light.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Sensitivity Training


A friend recently alerted me to the fact that my casual use of the word “retarded,” in reference to some shallow remarks left by strangers on a Facebook page, was hurtful. Her two-sentence email was a slap in the face. Shame on me.

I used the “R word,” as she put it, in my Facebook status update. For all my friends to see.  Even as I sit here, maintaining this blog about identity and labeling and racism and human misunderstanding, I’m guilty.

My friend, the one who outed me, is a writer and activist. She is practiced at speaking up and speaking out. She and I know each other through our joint participation in a long-standing writing workshop. She knows my work, and shares my compulsion to write personal narrative non-fiction as a means to broaden the collective understanding of our core topics: hers is Autism.

The term “R word” out of context doesn’t have the universal weight of “N word.” 
But that’s not the point. Or maybe it is.  I don’t use the R word in front of my children. But I now see that in my adults-only Facebook circle, I use a pretty light filter. And I’m having trouble explaining that. I didn’t think I had a filter; I thought I was conscientious all the time.

I’ve been called plenty of names; names that are labels, and are hurtful.
Here’s a short list:

Oreo
Nigger
Brill-o Head
Half Breed
High Yellow Bitch
Mutt
Kike
Freak

I’ve survived the hurtful names. I haven’t had to struggle through a hard life of repeated persecution by bullies or cruel siblings or a fascist dictator. I’m just a privileged, educated American who’s been called shitty things a bunch of times, by jerks of every size, sex, and color. And until my recent misstep with the R word, I was feeling pretty righteous. But I haven’t forgotten the hurt.

So I’m grateful to my friend, Liane Kupferberg Carter, for calling me out.
Thanks, Liane!

You can read Liane's piece on the R word here:

No comments:

Post a Comment